Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Ten K: Coconut oil, Coffee and Weight Loss

I have lost a stone. A stone is a little over six kilograms.

Jasleen is a German baby born this year, she weighs six kilograms and has been crowned the largest baby born in Germany...ever. Below is a picture of the beautiful Jasleen. 



I know, she's a.) not that beautiful and b.) fucking massive. But, it does put things into perspective...I've lost a lot of weight and German babies are getting bigger - is that something we should be keeping an eye on?

Anyway, how on earth have I lost a stone?

I mentioned that I would be plunging into the nauseating depths of portion control. Well, I've taken the Heydrich approach to this and now I no longer eat breakfast. Consequently, my fasting period has now lengthened from a regular eleven hours (time between supper and breakfast) to around seventeen hours. My insulin levels remain low throughout - insulin tells your body to store fatty acids, not burn them.  Avoid unwanted insulin spikes, ladies and gentlemen.

Don't I want to break down and sob uncontrollably?

No more than usual - I get through the aforementioned period of fasting with the help of COFFEE and COCONUT OIL.




OMG WTF??

To encourage my body to use fat as a first choice energy source, to keep full, to maintain healthy hormone levels and improve my cognitive function, I add TWO TABLESPOONS of coconut oil to the large double espresso I have every morning. The coffee is taken within 30 minutes of me waking up so I don't like feeling hungry before drinking it. Within five minutes of finishing, I feel satiated and filled with more energy than an eight year old girl, at a One Direction concert, with ADHD, eating crystal meth.

Has this effected training?

It hasn't made me a faster runner but it hasn't made a slower one, either. In terms of difficulty, I don't feel that working out is more difficult - there are anomalies to this, but that will be coupled with other variables, such as sleep.

Feeling tired?

I don't feel tired and as long as I don't sit there, mourning the loss of an earlier breakfast (breaking-the-fast) like some Spanish widow, then I tend not to feel hungry. Yes, were you to try this, you may experience the rare and fleeting hunger pang but GET OVER IT - losing weight is not all sunshine and rainbows - sometimes, just sometimes, you are going to have to feel a little uncomfortable - a Syrian refugee, an imprisoned Suffragette or a Japanese prisoner of war have/had serious grounds for complaint...you absolutely do NOT.

Why coconut oil?

1. It's good for the brain - read up about the research that is going into the correlation between this oil and the prevention of Alzheimer's - 50% of every cell membrane in your body is made up of saturated fat - do the maths.

2. It raises the metabolism.

3. It keeps you full.

4. Helps prevent type 2 diabetes - it protects against insulin resistance.

5. Controls weight - especially abdominal fat - for the same reason as above.

6. Stops the cravings - have spoonful of coconut oil, not something carbohydrate based and stay fuller for longer.

7. It's good for the skin.

So, there we have but a brief pretext on the wonders of coconut oil. So, try putting a teaspoon in your coffee at first (your body needs to ease into it) and work your way up to TWO tablespoons. Please do message me if you have any questions, not reservations...I except you will have those. Oh, and make sure that throughout the morning you drink lots of water, ideally ice cold.

- My training information will follow shortly -

No comments:

Post a Comment